Sunday 24 April 2011

Stand-Up/Comedy section changed

The stand-up/comedy pat of the performance is only supposed to be an introduction to the gremlin character who reapears in the script, but it was too long and ran for about 8 minutes, so I had to trim the stories and change some of them so that the punchline came quicker, especially the story about the family on the train.

I also, during outside reading/leisure time, read The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, and watched a televised bbc adaptation of it called Jekyll starring James Nesbitt.

I loved both of these but I realised whilst watching the television series that the gremlin in the stories/stand-up of my solo performance was actually Mr Hyde, the repressed person hiding in all of us that fights to come out and sometimes wins. I realised that I should introduce this as what I thought is a gremlin, then tell the audience that I'd read the novel and that's what was trying to get me to do things, because by telling the audience this it reveals part of my cultural identity and my reading/television habits. Also, the character of Mr Hyde is recognisable in many cultures so would be universally recognised and understood. I feel that although this is only a simple change to the script, it is actually a large change to how the audience perceive the violence and anger parts of the performance, and it justifies why the anger is there, because it is Hyde, not me who is fighting and swearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment