Monday 4 April 2011

Feedback from Gemskii Rudd-Orthner, a visiting practitioner

Feedback from, and discussion with, Gemskii Rudd-Orthner.
·         Song- Sparticus Autisticus by Ian Dury, made for The Year of the Disabled in 1981
·         Arrested and in an interview scene for kicking off and punching someone. Don’t be apologetic and your anger is righteous anger.
·         Make the man I assaulted black (who is the same man that sexually abused your disabled brother), and call him a nigger so that I can show the same passion for racism as for disability discrimination.
·         Have a slide show of my brother at the end of the piece, it should be celebratory.
·         Discuss the insults I’ve seen towards him for being disabled, and what actions occurred.
·         Look at DV8’s A Cost Of Living on Youtube
·         I have the opportunity to defend my position as brother, defender, and attacker.
·         Show light and dark to make it balanced, not too dark all the time.
·         Start the interview with self righteous and justifiable anger.
·         If my brother could walk, what would I do with him? Where would we go?
·         Develop a monologue from the stimulus ‘I’m tired of...’ and see what comes out.
·         There is a scare around physicality and disability. Work with the idea of disability. Use triggers, like the arm that can’t move unless I move it myself. Pick up your own arm and leg, slow motion and awkward movement. Fade to the floor. I can’t move unless I make it move.
·         Have a temper in the rant, then ‘Do you know what I wished for at 3?’
·         Highlight ‘I’m tired of people using my brother like a piece of paper. Of thinking they can have sex with him because he won’t fight back. And you think I’m wrong for calling him a nigger?’
·         Juxtapose horror stories with tone, light hearted but horrible.
·         Stagger and dribble and look like you’re pissed, ‘actually I’ve got cerebral palsy.’
·         Have a thank you from Paul at the end. To the audience ‘thanks for watching my brother, if you see him in the street, please say hello to him.’ Even if they won’t understand him.
·         Surround yourself with beer cans, and say you get drunk because it makes you feel like I am more like my brother.
·         Ask yourself why I care so much, and what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment