Sunday 24 April 2011

If I had One Wish/My earliest memory

The following piece of writing is something I wrote in response to discussion with Gem, the visiting practitioner, and is something I want to include in my script if possible because it says so much about my feelings towards my brother and disability in general without being to long-winded and 'lecturing'.
If I had one wish
'Do you know what one of my earliest memories is? It’s of my mum crying. You know why? Because she came to a concert assembly thing when I was about 4 for all the mums and dad to watch. All the kids took it in turns to say what they wanted if they had one wish. They all said popstars or footballers or princesses, and all the parents would say ‘Aaaw, thats my little girl’ or ‘Go on son!’ You know what I wished for that made mum cry? And you know what I wished for every birthday and Christmas since I remember? For my brother to be able to walk.'

No comments:

Post a Comment